Anson Dorrance – University of North Carolina
Expertise: Creating a positive championship team culture, understanding gender differences
- Head coach of UNC women’s soccer team since 1979 – it’s inaugural year.
- Has led teams to win 21 National Titles.
- Received an Honorary All-America Award from the NSCAA in 1991.
- Has had players and coaches on the U.S. Women’s National Team for every World Cup since 1991.
- Was the head coach for the U.S. Women’s National Team from 1986-94.
- National Soccer Hall of fame inductee.
- First coach in history to win 20 national titles in one sport.
- Has had 17 players named national players of the year.
Celia on Anson:
“When Becky Burleigh told Anson I was building this assistant program he immediately wanted to be a part of it. He loved the idea and knew it was important work. I was honored to have such a legend interested in being on our team. Besides the fact that Anson knows how to build and maintain a championship team culture, he also has a passion for understanding gender differences. Over the years he has learned that coaching women has different challenges as well as different rewards. I am extremely excited Anson is on our team as he brings a rich career full of insights and lessons learned that I’m sure our participants will enjoy!”